Picture Your WorldYouth Photography Program
“The workshop taught me many things about photography and how it’s important to be outdoors because you discover new and interesting things.” – Alex L. 5th grader
The Program is designed for youth ages 8-18 and has three main components: Sunday afternoon, Weekend Workshops, Title 1 Elementary Program and a spring city-wide Nature Photography Exhibition. Programming for the workshops and competition follow the September through May school calendar to better represent the needs of our youth audience.
“When the kids are out on the trails or in the meadow or even just around the Visitor Center looking for subjects, angles and objects they are ENGAGED. Curious, excited, attentive…they are actually hunting for stuff EVERYwhere they go. They’re looking around and discovering. THEY drive the adventure. As I see it, PYW is a natural wellspring for young people’s energy and curiosity, and let’s face it…it’s pretty fun too!” – John H. Koepke Peace Officer/Interpreter/Volunteers, Government Canyon State Natural Area
Studies show that children who spend time in nature are happier, healthier, and smarter. Picture Your World addresses the intellectual, creative, and emotional needs of a diverse youth population by restoring their relationship with Texas’s rich natural environment.
We wish to thank our amazing supporters for this program:
and a grant from the Coates Charitable Foundation
and public support from people like you!
The weekend workshops teach photographic composition and technique through hands-on demonstration and constructive critique. Participants will produce a visual memory of their day and begin a creative portfolio while experiencing the wonders of the natural environment. Each workshop is led by the Picture Your World Program Manager, Carra Garza, along with a professional photographer, and a Master Naturalist. Weekend Photography Program:
- Open to youth ages 8-18.
- Held once a month on a Sunday from 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm, September through April.
- Digital camera provided upon request.
- Workshops led by Program Coordinator, Photographer, Master Naturalist
- Format: power point photography lesson (25 min.), Hike through natural area and photography, feedback and critique.
- Fees: $20.00 per workshop. Scholarships and waivers routinely given for requests in writing.
- Parents and siblings welcome.
- Services 5th grade students from select Title 1 Elementary Schools
- Program offered to students in both the fall and spring at two different natural areas.
- Students are bused from to and from their school to the location.
- Workshops led by Program Coordinator, Photographer, Master Naturalist(s)
- Digital cameras provided to participants (up to 28 youth participants per workshop).
- Format: Introduction, photography Lesson (15 min.), Cameras assigned and operation demonstrated, hike and photography through natural area, lunch, supplemental art or science activity, photography critique and feedback (5 cameras), dismiss.
- Open to youth ages 8-18. Register on-linethrough our website: www.picture your world 2021/exhibition.org.
- Entry is open now until 5:00 pm, April 26, 2021.
- Submit photos as jpegs or tiffs sized 10″x13″ at 300 dpi, or a minimum of 6 megapixels set on the cameras highest resolution.Photos must be labeled with you name, age, and entry number as in the example: JohnHernandez_14_1, JohnHernandez_14_2, etc.
- Participants may submit up to 3 images for consideration.
- There is a suggested donation of $20 per student.Otherwise, there is no cost to enter! Donations directly support the Picture Your World Youth Photography Program.
- Email your 3 original photos submissions to:email@example.com.A picture of the entrant must be included.
- Photos of domestic pets, restrained, or caged animals will notbe accepted.
- Questions,email firstname.lastname@example.org., or call 210-222-8460, ext. 309.
Winners ages 8-12:
Winners ages 13-18:
For the full list of 2020 Picture Your World Youth Photography Exhibition winners click here.